Friday, January 22, 2016

Mujeres en Cambio: A lunch in the campo

 Mujeres en Cambio is a local non-profit that provides scholarships for women in a small community in the campo outside of San Miguel.   It was their anniversary (can't remember how long they've been doing this) and they hosted a luncheon cooked by the women of the community.  It began with boarding a tin-can of a bus, which didn't bother me, but unfortunately 30 women in a tin-can produced an intolerable cacophony.  It was not helped by the heavily scented air freshener that saturated the already heady environment! Thought I was gonna die!
 Phew!  Fresh air, the sound of rustling mesquite in the breeze.



 A sample of the hooked items the women design and make



 The talented and beautiful cooks


Hands down the best Mexican food I have ever eaten.  And I've eaten lots.
My plate included: a chicken tamale, a cheese chile relleno, a cheese taco,
mole, pork in red chile, nopalitos, rice, stewed chicken, quacamole, and a fried mashed potato patty (under all the rest)
They had chocolate and carrot cake for dessert.
No dinner for me last night, needless to say.

1 comment: